Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blogging will tire you. Placenta will invigorate you.

Rumaki

Look, I'm trying to keep up with this thing but let's face it- one person cannot alone carry a blog unless they are like that book-movie-deal Pioneer Woman I just read about in the New Yorker. Always a day late and a dollar short, that's my problem. Anyway, The San Francisco Chronicle will have an article next Wednesday, May 11 on their website in which a food writer documents our recent Placenta Food Adventure. 

I've made myself a promise to NEVER read the online comments that will surely be posted within seconds because I read the sfgate.com comments for sport and they are just awful! So terrible! And I don't want to hear the things these commenters will call me and my club and my fearless club compatriots. 

Instead, I will accent...uate the positive and ellim...inate the negative by offering you the base recipe from Epicurious that I used to make the Placenta Rumaki. 


PLACENTA RUMAKI*
  • 1/4 lb fresh placenta or defrosted frozen placenta (human)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 12 canned water chestnuts, drained and halved horizontally
  • 8 bacon slices (1/2 pound), cut crosswise into thirds
  • Special equipment: 24 wooden toothpicks

Open placenta, removing major blood clots, umbilical cord and tissue. Cut placenta meat into 24 (roughly 1/2-inch) pieces. Stir together soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, and curry powder. Add placenta and water chestnuts and toss to coat. Marinate, covered and chilled, 1 hour. 

While placenta marinates, soak toothpicks in cold water 1 hour. Drain well. 

Preheat broiler. 

Remove placenta and chestnuts from marinade and discard marinade. Place 1 piece of bacon on a work surface and put 1 piece of placenta and 1 chestnut in center. Wrap bacon around placenta and chestnut and secure with a toothpick. Make 23 more rumaki in same manner. 

Broil rumaki on rack of a broiler pan 2 inches from heat, turning once, until bacon is crisp (unwrap 1 to check for doneness), 5 to 6 minutes. Serve immediately.


* Adapted from Epicurious rumaki recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment